Read the story and get a general idea.
There lived a wise man in ancient Greece whose name was Diogenes. Men came from all parts of the land to see him and talk to him.
Diogenes was a strange man. He said that no man needed much, and so he did not live in a house but slept in a barrel, which he rolled about from place to place. He spent his days sitting in the sun and saying wise things to those who were around him.
When Alexander the Great came to that town he went to see the wise man. He found Diogenes outside the town lying on the ground by his barrel. He was enjoying the sun.
When he saw the king he sat up and looked at Alexander. Alexander greeted him and said:
"Diogenes, I have heard a great deal about you. Is there anything I can do for you?"
"Yes," said Diogenes, "you can step aside a little so as not to keep the sunshine from me."
The king was very much surprised. But this answer did not make him angry. He turned to his officers with the following words:
"Say what you like, but if I were not Alexander, I should like to be Diogenes."
I Learn and practise the pronunciation of the following vocabulary.
1. Diogenes - Diogçns - (an ancient Greek philosopher)
the Great - Maíedonijas Aleksandrs -
3. anciet - sens -
4. strange - savâds -
5. a barrel - muca -
6. to roll - ripinât -
7. outside - ârpus -
8. to enjoy ... - baudît -
9. to sit up - piecelties sçdus -
10. to greet - sveicinât -
11. a great deal - daudz -
12. to step aside - paiet malâ -
13. so as - tâ, lai -
14. to keep smth for smb - slçpt (aizsegt) kaut ko no kaut kâ -
15. to be surprised - bût pârsteigtam -
16. to make angry - sadusmot -
17. to turn to - vçrsties pie kaut kâ -
18. following - sekojoðais -
II Answer the questions.
1. Where did Diogenes live?
2. What was he?
3. What was he famous for?
4. How did he live?
5. How did he spend his days?
6. When did Alexander the Great go to see Diogenes?
7. What was Diogenes doing at that moment?
8. What did Diogenes do when he saw the king?
9. What did the king ask him about?
10. Did Diogenes want anything from the king?
11. Was the king surprised and angry?
12. What did the king say to his officers?
III Read and reproduce the dialogues.
N. I've just read a story about Diogenes.
I. Who is that?
N. A famous man from ancient Greece.
I. What was he?
N. A well-known Greek philosopher.
I. Oh, now I remember. He was a strange man.
N. Yes, he lived in a barrel, which he rolled about from place to place.
I. Strange, that he didn't need anything for his life.
N. He needed very little. Do you know how he spent his days?
I. A little, may be you'll tell me more.
N. Sure. He used to sit in the sun and say wise things to those who were around him.
I. How interesting it is to learn about outstanding people!
A. Hi, Diogenes!
D. Hi, Your Majesty!
A. How are you?
D. Fine, thank you! I'm very much surprised to see you here, my Emperor!
A. Diogenes, I have heard a great deal about you.
D. Thank you, I have heard about your courageous deeds too.
A. Is there anything I can do for you?
D. Yes, you can step aside a little so as not to keep the sunshine from me.
A. Say what you like but if I were not Alexander, I should like to be Diogenes.
IY Make up and act out dialogues, using the following vocabulary.
1. A famous man, ancient Greece, a well-known philosopher, a strange man, a barrel, to need little, how he spent his days, to sit in the sun, to say wise things, how interesting, to learn about smb.
2. How are you?, sure, I have heard, what can I do for you?, courageous deeds, to step aside, to keep smth from smb, if I were not ... , I should like to be ...
Y Prove it by the facts from the story.
1. Diogenes was a very wise man.
2. He said that no man needed much for his life.
3. He said wise things to the people.
4. Alexander the Great heard much about Diogenes.
5. Diogenes was surprised to see Alexander the Great.
6. Diogenes didn't want anything from the Emperor.
7. Alexander the Great envied Diogenes.
YI Retell the story according to the given plan.
1. Diogenes lived in ancient Greece.
2. He was very popular.
3. He lived a strange life.
4. Alexander the Great was interested in him.
5. Diogenes needed very little for his life.
6. The Emperor liked him very much.
YII Topics for discussion.
1. Was Diogenes really happy?
2. Does a man need much to be happy?
3. Do you need much to be happy?
4. Do girls need more to be happy than boys?
5. Is it better to be happy or to be rich?
6. What did Alexander the Great like in Diogenes?
7. Do you think that Diogenes's life was good and useful?
8. Would you like to live like Diogenes?
9. Whose life would you prefer Diogenes's or Alexander's?