Read the story and get a general idea.
Once there was a man whose wife was dumb, and this made him very sad because he loved her very much. After some time he went to see a doctor and said "Can you make my wife speak?" "Perhaps I can," said the doctor, "the operation is difficult but if I try, I'll do my best." "Of course, you may try," said the husband, "I'll bring her tomorrow."
The next day the doctor made the operation and the dumb wife began to speak. She spoke so much and so loudly that in a few hours her husband ran back to the doctor and said "Can you make my wife dumb again?" "No," said the doctor, "there are many ways to make a dumb woman speak, but no ways to make a woman stop talking." "What must I do?" said the man, "I shall soon die if I have to listen to her all day long." "Well," said the doctor, "I can't make her dumb, but I can make you deaf and you will not have to listen to her." "Very well," said the man, "you may do so. It will be better than the other way."
I Learn and practise the pronunciation of the following vocabulary.
1. dumb - mçms -
2. perhaps - iespçjams -
3. difficult - grûts -
4. to try - censties -
5. to do one's best - izdarît visu iespçjamo -
6. to bring - atvest -
7. loudly - skaïi -
8. in a few hours - pçc daþâm stundâm -
9. to run (ran, run) - skriet -
10. soon - drîz -
11. deaf - kurls -
II Answer the questions.
1. What was the matter with the man's wife?
2. Why was the man very sad about it?
3. Whom did he go to see once?
4. What did the doctor promise?
5. Did the dumb wife begin to speak?
6. Did she speak little?
7. Did the husband like her to talk very much?
8. Where did he go for help?
9. What did he tell the doctor?
10. What way out did the doctor find?
11. Did the husband like that way out?
III Read and reproduce the dialogues.
H. Good morning, doctor!
D. Good morning! What can I do for you?
H. I have a great misfortune, doctor. My wife is dumb and that makes me very sad.
D. Perhaps I can help you, but it'll be not simple.
H. Please, doctor, I love my wife so much!
D. I'll try and do my best.
H. Good morning, my dear doctor! Oh, how unhappy I am! How unhappy!
D. What's the matter now?
H. Why did you make her talk so much?
D. Whom? What is wrong?
H. The thing is that my wife began to speak. And she speaks so much, so much!
D. You must be glad, you wanted it!
H. But not so much! If I have to listen to her all days long, I'll die. Can't you make her dumb again?
D. Well, I can't make her dumb. Because there are many ways to make a dumb woman speak but no way to make a woman stop talking.
H. Help me, doctor, some way, please.
D. I can make you deaf and you will not have to listen to her.
H. Very well, you may do so. It will be better than the other way. Thank you!
IY Make up and act out dialogues, using the following vocabulary.
1. What can I do for you?, my wife is dumb, very sad, perhaps, simple, I'll try to do my best.
2. Unhappy, what's the matter now, to talk very much, to be glad, all day long, to die, to make dumb, to make deaf.
Y Prove it by the facts from the story.
1.The man loved his wife very much.
2. He was unhappy, because his wife was dumb.
3. Women are very talkative as a rule.
4. Men don't like talkative women.
5. The doctor was very clever.
6. The man was still more unhappy when his wife was not dumb any more.
YI Retell the story according to the given plan.
1. The man was unhappy because his wife was dumb.
2. He loved her very much.
3. He went to see the doctor one day and asked him to make his wife talk.
4. The operation was difficult, but the doctor did his best.
5. The wife began to talk.
6. She talked very much.
7. The husband went again to the doctor for help.
8. There are no ways to make a woman stop talking.
9. The husband agreed to become deaf.
YII Topics for discussion.
1. Do you like people, who talk very much?
2. Do you like when people keep silent all the time?
3. What do you think of a proverb: "Better to do well than to say well"?
4. How do you like the husband? What do you think about him?
5. Did you like the story? Why?
6. Continue the story. What happened to them?