Read the story and get a general idea.
The king of an oriental country was rich and powerful, but he was not happy. He therefore went to consult a wise old man on this subject. The old man said:
"Happiness is a very rare thing in this world, but I know the way to find it."
"How shall I find it?" asked the king.
"Oh, it is quite simple," answered the old man, "you have only to put on the shirt of a happy man."
The king thanked the old man and began to look for the talisman. He visited most of the capitals of the world, met kings, writers, professors, actors, doctors, and others, but they were not happy.
At last he came back to his country.
One day he saw a poor peasant with a happy look on his face who was working in a field and singing. He went up to the peasant and said: "My good fellow, are you happy?"
"Quite happy," answered the peasant.
"Would you like to change places with a king?"
"Not for the world."
"Well, then," said the king, "sell me your shirt."
"My shirt?" answered the peasant in astonishment. "I haven't got one."
I Learn and practise the pronunciation of the following vocabulary.
1. a shirt - krekls -
2. a king - karalis -
3. oriental - austrumu -
4. rich - bagâts; bagâtîgs -
5. powerful - ietekmîgs -
6. to be happy - bût laimîgam -
7. therefore - tâpçc -
8. wise - gudrs -
9. a rare thing - retums -
10. it's quite simple - pavisam vienkârði -
11. to look for - meklçt -
12. at last - beidzot -
13. a poor peasant - nabadzîgs zemnieks -
14. a happy look - laimes izteiksme -
15. in the field - uz lauka -
16. to change places with - samainîties vietâm ar -
17. not for the world - ne par ko pasaulç -
18. to sell - pârdot -
19. in astonishment - izbrînîjies -
II Answer the questions.
1. Where did the king live?
2. What king was he?
3. Was he happy?
4. Whom did he consult?
5. What did the wise man say about happiness?
6. What did the old man advise him to do?
7. Where did the king go to look for happiness?
8. Could he find happiness?
9. Where did he find a happy man?
10. What was he?
11. Could he sell his shirt to the king?
III Read and reproduce the dialogues.
M. Good morning, your majesty!
K. My good fellow, can you help me?
M. What can I do for you?
K. The thing is that I'm rich and powerful but not happy unfortunately.
M. Oh, happiness is a rare thing in this world, your excellence, but I know the way to find it.
K. Can't you advise me what to do?
M. It is quite simple, you have only to put on a shirt of a happy man.
K. Thank you very much.
K. My good fellow, are you happy?
P. Quite happy, your excellence!
K. Would you like to change places with a king?
P. Not for the world.
K. Well, then, sell me your shirt.
P. My shirt? I haven't got one.
K. How can you be happy having not a single shirt to wear?
P. Things are nothing in life. People, that is the thing which matters. I have a wonderful family, my wife is the kindest woman in the world. And my children are the loveliest creatures of all. And that makes me happy.
IY Make up and act out dialogues, using the following vocabulary.
1. Your excellence, my good fellow, what can I do for you, I'm not happy, unfortunately, a rare thing, to advise to do something, it is quite simple, to put on, thank you very much.
2. To be happy, quite happy, your excellence, not for the world, to sell something, a single shirt, to matter, the kindest woman, the loveliest creature, to make smb happy.
Y Prove it by the facts from the story.
1. The king was not happy.
2. Happiness is a very rare thing in this world.
3. To find a happy man was not easy.
4. The poor peasant was quite happy.
5. The peasant was very poor.
YI Retell the story according to the given plan.
1. The oriental king was rich but not happy.
2. A wise old man knew how to find happiness.
3. It was extremely difficult to find a happy man.
4. The poor happy man didn't want to change places with a king.
YII Topics for discussion.
1. Is happiness really a rare thing in this world?
2. What matters more in life richness or happiness?
3. What is necessary to have to be happy?
4. Are you happy? What do you need to be happy?
5. Can a poor man be happy nowadays?
6. Do you know happy people? What makes them happy?
7. Can people live without happiness?
8. What is the difference between a happy and an unhappy man?
9. Can you tell a happy man from an unhappy one by his outward appearance?
10. Give some examples of happy people from literature.
11. Do men and women need the same things to be happy?
12. What is necessary for a woman to be happy?